A barndance at Frittenden
The hurly-burly of the Christmas season, wonderful though it was, seems a dim memory in mid-January… But the fun goes on with:
- two free tunes workshops each month (2nd and 4th Wednesdays)
- one free song workshop each month (1st Tuesday)
- the two monthly sessions at Frittenden (mixed songs and tunes, last Sunday of the month) and Horsmonden (tunes, 1st Sunday)
- the tunes workshop spring barndance at Frittenden with games and songs on the 19 March (details to be announced, but Rachel Roberts will be calling, and Malcolm and Ollie Woods will be there to help with the music)
See the website pages for the workshops and sessions for information!
- We’re back at the Gun & Spitroast for our workshop on Wednesday, the 22nd of October, from 8pm as usual. See the website for what we’ll be working on
- We’ll be starting to practice a set of tunes for the dance at the Bell & Jorrocks on the 29th November. My suggestions for the tunes we might use are online, so if you get a chance, give them a go!
- Please think about bringing family and friends to the dance – they’re really popular family friendly occasions, with games and songs as well as dancing
- The next Bell & Jorrocks mixed songs and tunes session on the 26th October and our guest will be the lovely singer John Morgan
Please tell anyone you think might be interested in a jolly, folkie and free evening out with great beer!
The Gun & Spitroast at Horsmonden should be back to normal, so our tunes workshop on Wednesday (22nd of October) will be there as usual from 8pm. See the tunes workshop tab on this site for details of what we’ll be doing, but the plan is to start practising a set of tunes for the dance at the Bell & Jorrocks on the 30th November. If you get a chance, give them a go as they’re now online!
Please think about bringing family and friends to the dance – they’re really popular family friendly occasions, with games and songs as well as dancing. Tickets are £6 and £4 (concs). There’s no pressure to play all the tunes if you don’t know them – so come and play the ones you know.
The next Bell & Jorrocks mixed songs and tunes session on the 26th October from 8pm, and our guest will be the singer John Morgan. I promise some lovely warm-toned singing from John, who mainly sings traditional songs often from the South East. There will also be the usual Bell & Jorrocks mix of tunes, songs (often with big choruses) and good humour.
Saturday 29th March at Frittenden
Singdanceandplay by the fireside 2-5pm
An afternoon of singing in the lovely Bell & Jorrocks pub function room with:
- Peter Collins – legendary local singer with a fabulous voice, great songs, runs the Beacon Folk Club (look out for Wild Willie Barrett’s Sleeping Dogz and Roy Clinging doing dates at the Beacon in coming weeks!)
- Nigel Hobbins – charming and singer of traditional, old fashioned and newly written songs from Whitstable and runs Whitstable folk club at the town’s Labour Club (Julie and Gavin Atkin are playing there on the 28th February btw!)
- John Morgan – a highly respected singer with a smashing collection of traditional songs, with a lovely light voice and an engaging delivery
- regular visitors Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison down from Yorksire with a collection of mainly old songs powerfully delivered
- your hosts Julie and Gavin Atkin (of Marden) and friends!
Expect some great singing by the fireside, a variety of old fashioned, traditional and new songs, and a few tunes to relax by. Entrance £4 and £2 (concs).
Old Fashioned Night Out family barn dance 8-11pm
These popular events feature everyone’s favourite easy dances, a few party games, a few songs and a great candle-lit atmosphere. Music will be provided by the Horsmonden Traditional Music Workshop and friends, our good friend caller Fee Lock explaining what to do, and song spots from mighty musician and singer Matt Quinn and Annie and Steve. Tickets £7 and £4 (concs). All funds raised go to fund future events.
For information see singdanceandplay.net or call 07985 522734. Download a pdf of the poster/flier to share with friends here.
PS! The regular last Sunday of the month session on the evening of the 30th March features the excellent singer and storyteller Adrian O – it’s his first visit and he’s our first storyteller so don’t miss him! (Free event)