– The end of the month mixed songs and tunes session at The Castle, Brenchley is on Sunday night from 8pm – our official guest is the excellent whistle, flute, bagpipe and saxophone player Chris Walshaw but I believe wonderful dancer Kerry Fletcher is coming too, so I think we can hope for some stepping as well as songs and music. This is a free event but really rather cool and like few other evenings anywhere – so please come if you can, whether you’re a regular or someone new… We’re very friendly! (Btw, the November end of the month sesh will feature Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison!)
– The first Sunday tunes session at at The Gun is on the 5th November from 8pm – so let’s make it go with a whoosh and a bang! Everyone is welcome, the tunes are mainly English and if you don’t want to start one yourself it’s quite normal to ask for a tune you can join in.
– The first tunes workshop this month is on Tuesday 7th November from 8pm – we’ll be running through the list of tunes on the tunes workshop page of the Singdanceandplay.net website ahead of playing them at the autumn barndance at Brenchley Memorial Hall on the 25th November.
– As many of you know the barndance on the 25th is always a very family friendly occasion, with dancing, favourite games and jolly songs, so please bring family and friends. This time we’ll have caller Rachel Roberts (up from Hastings) and our good friends Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison (down from West Yorkshire) to help us! Tickets are £8 and £5 (concs). For tickets, please call or message Julie on 07813 359642
– It will soon be time for the carols – look out for further Mailchimp mailings about an opportunity to come and learn some of our favourite old local carols (and hopefully one or two new ones!)
‘On Saturday last I once again had the privilege of sitting in with the band formed from Gav’s Horsmonden (Kent) workshops to play at a ceilidh. For a group of pretty inexperienced musicians, they did a really good job of providing perfectly danceable music for Fee Lock’s calling. I cannot speak too highly of Gav’s instructional skill on melodeon, fiddle, Jeffries Duet concertina, and mandolin, to make no mention of his generosity and commitment in providing his classes and associated videos entirely free of charge.’ Steve Harrison
Here are a few photos from a memorable weekend, and probably the best dance we’ve had thanks to so many friends, including the workshoppers, Fee Lock for calling, Zubeida Roberts for decorating the hall, Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison for entertainment and support, and for performing on Sunday at the Unicorn, and of course everyone who came to the events!
An afternoon of singing in the lovely Bell & Jorrocks pub function room with:
Peter Collins – legendary local singer with a fabulous voice, great songs, runs the Beacon Folk Club (look out for Wild Willie Barrett’s Sleeping Dogz and Roy Clinging doing dates at the Beacon in coming weeks!)
Nigel Hobbins – charming and singer of traditional, old fashioned and newly written songs from Whitstable and runs Whitstable folk club at the town’s Labour Club (Julie and Gavin Atkin are playing there on the 28th February btw!)
John Morgan – a highly respected singer with a smashing collection of traditional songs, with a lovely light voice and an engaging delivery
regular visitors Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison down from Yorksire with a collection of mainly old songs powerfully delivered
your hosts Julie and Gavin Atkin (of Marden) and friends!
Expect some great singing by the fireside, a variety of old fashioned, traditional and new songs, and a few tunes to relax by. Entrance £4 and £2 (concs).
Old Fashioned Night Out family barn dance 8-11pm
These popular events feature everyone’s favourite easy dances, a few party games, a few songs and a great candle-lit atmosphere. Music will be provided by the Horsmonden Traditional Music Workshop and friends, our good friend caller Fee Lock explaining what to do, and song spots from mighty musician and singer Matt Quinn and Annie and Steve. Tickets £7 and £4 (concs). All funds raised go to fund future events.
For information see singdanceandplay.net or call 07985 522734. Download a pdf of the poster/flier to share with friends here.
PS! The regular last Sunday of the month session on the evening of the 30th March features the excellent singer and storyteller Adrian O – it’s his first visit and he’s our first storyteller so don’t miss him! (Free event)