– Whitstable singer of traditional, old fashioned and newly written songs Nigel Hobbins is coming to Frittenden’s Bell & Jorrocks (TN17 2EJ) once again on the 24th April from 8pm, and we’re delighted to have him back. Look out for Little Willie’s Wild Woodbines and Golden Days among others…
– Wednesday the 27th is tunes workshop night at the Gun, Horsmonden TN12 8HT, from 8pm. Two of the tunes are online now at Singdanceandplay.net and as usual we’ll learn a third by ear on the night
– Julie and Gavin Atkin are appearing at Whitstable Folk Club on Friday the 29th from 8.30pm. The club’s at Whitstable Labour Club, 12 Belmont Rd, Whitstable CT5 1QP. Expect a fine mix of jolly tunes, nostalgic songs, rousing choruses, story songs that will keep you riveted – and a few laughs. Why not come along and chip in a song or tune or two of your own?
– Also, don’t forget it will be Chorus Night at the West End Tavern, Marden TN12 9JB from 8.30pm on Wednesday the 4th May. We’re looking forward to wall-to-wall rollicking chorus songs and beer, everyone can join in and it’s a free event – what’s not to like? If you fancy leading a song, please drop me a line at firstname.lastname@example.org
Why not subscribe for regular email notifications? See above right for a place to input your email address…
Saturday 29th March at Frittenden
Singdanceandplay by the fireside 2-5pm
An afternoon of singing in the lovely Bell & Jorrocks pub function room with:
- Peter Collins – legendary local singer with a fabulous voice, great songs, runs the Beacon Folk Club (look out for Wild Willie Barrett’s Sleeping Dogz and Roy Clinging doing dates at the Beacon in coming weeks!)
- Nigel Hobbins – charming and singer of traditional, old fashioned and newly written songs from Whitstable and runs Whitstable folk club at the town’s Labour Club (Julie and Gavin Atkin are playing there on the 28th February btw!)
- John Morgan – a highly respected singer with a smashing collection of traditional songs, with a lovely light voice and an engaging delivery
- regular visitors Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison down from Yorksire with a collection of mainly old songs powerfully delivered
- your hosts Julie and Gavin Atkin (of Marden) and friends!
Expect some great singing by the fireside, a variety of old fashioned, traditional and new songs, and a few tunes to relax by. Entrance £4 and £2 (concs).
Old Fashioned Night Out family barn dance 8-11pm
These popular events feature everyone’s favourite easy dances, a few party games, a few songs and a great candle-lit atmosphere. Music will be provided by the Horsmonden Traditional Music Workshop and friends, our good friend caller Fee Lock explaining what to do, and song spots from mighty musician and singer Matt Quinn and Annie and Steve. Tickets £7 and £4 (concs). All funds raised go to fund future events.
For information see singdanceandplay.net or call 07985 522734. Download a pdf of the poster/flier to share with friends here.
PS! The regular last Sunday of the month session on the evening of the 30th March features the excellent singer and storyteller Adrian O – it’s his first visit and he’s our first storyteller so don’t miss him! (Free event)