A barndance at Frittenden
The hurly-burly of the Christmas season, wonderful though it was, seems a dim memory in mid-January… But the fun goes on with:
- two free tunes workshops each month (2nd and 4th Wednesdays)
- one free song workshop each month (1st Tuesday)
- the two monthly sessions at Frittenden (mixed songs and tunes, last Sunday of the month) and Horsmonden (tunes, 1st Sunday)
- the tunes workshop spring barndance at Frittenden with games and songs on the 19 March (details to be announced, but Rachel Roberts will be calling, and Malcolm and Ollie Woods will be there to help with the music)
See the website pages for the workshops and sessions for information!
The Singdanceandplay New Year’s Eve party at the Bell & Jorrocks this year from 9pm will be a New Year’s Eve with a difference.
We’ll make our own fun, including playing tunes together, simple social dances, songs, party pieces and games… Folks from the tunes workshops and other musicians have agreed to take part (The Tonic will present in full strength), which guarantees the music will have plenty of rhythm and drive. Lyn and Steve Winter have volunteered to organise the games…
At midnight there will be a Scottish piper and fireworks, and those of us who wish to can join the villager’s traditional Old Lang Syne outside in the square. Entrance is free but there will be a raffle to help pay for hiring the chairs and tables – so please bring one or two items for use as prizes if you can!
Saturday 29th March at Frittenden
Singdanceandplay by the fireside 2-5pm
An afternoon of singing in the lovely Bell & Jorrocks pub function room with:
- Peter Collins – legendary local singer with a fabulous voice, great songs, runs the Beacon Folk Club (look out for Wild Willie Barrett’s Sleeping Dogz and Roy Clinging doing dates at the Beacon in coming weeks!)
- Nigel Hobbins – charming and singer of traditional, old fashioned and newly written songs from Whitstable and runs Whitstable folk club at the town’s Labour Club (Julie and Gavin Atkin are playing there on the 28th February btw!)
- John Morgan – a highly respected singer with a smashing collection of traditional songs, with a lovely light voice and an engaging delivery
- regular visitors Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison down from Yorksire with a collection of mainly old songs powerfully delivered
- your hosts Julie and Gavin Atkin (of Marden) and friends!
Expect some great singing by the fireside, a variety of old fashioned, traditional and new songs, and a few tunes to relax by. Entrance £4 and £2 (concs).
Old Fashioned Night Out family barn dance 8-11pm
These popular events feature everyone’s favourite easy dances, a few party games, a few songs and a great candle-lit atmosphere. Music will be provided by the Horsmonden Traditional Music Workshop and friends, our good friend caller Fee Lock explaining what to do, and song spots from mighty musician and singer Matt Quinn and Annie and Steve. Tickets £7 and £4 (concs). All funds raised go to fund future events.
For information see singdanceandplay.net or call 07985 522734. Download a pdf of the poster/flier to share with friends here.
PS! The regular last Sunday of the month session on the evening of the 30th March features the excellent singer and storyteller Adrian O – it’s his first visit and he’s our first storyteller so don’t miss him! (Free event)