We have a programme! Click on the image to preview the programme for Saturday.
Category Archives: English traditional music
Singing, dancing, games and fun at the Frittenden Old Fashioned Night Out, 6th April
The Horsmonden Traditional Music Class in action
A great sing and some tunes at lunch time, a smashing concert in the afternoon, and a delightful dance in the evening… Why not join us?
Our day and evening out at the Bell & Jorrocks on the 6th April, Frittenden includes:
- a session from noon for two hours – this this is a mix of songs and tunes, and this year the theme for the songs is rural work and life
- a concert in the bar on the same theme from 2pm, featuring Alvar Smith and Roger Middleditch (from Suffolk), Peter Collins (from Sussex), Will Duke (ditto), Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison (from Yorkshire), and No Name Mummers (local). (The Grand National starts at 4.15pm so if folks are on for a session around then, it’ll be necessary to have a brief pause while the race is run – this /is/ a pub, but it won’t take long!)
- an atmospheric candle-lit evening dance to the Horsmonden Traditional Music Class with games and entertainments, led by Rosie Davis
The bar events are free (and will be fabulous) but tickets for the dance are £7 and £4 (concs), with all funds raised going to help fund further events. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 07985 522734 for information.
Harvest Hop Barndance at the Bell & Jorrocks, 24th November
Get ready for the Harvest Hop Barndance at the Bell & Jorrocks pub at 8pm on the 24th November, featuring our favourite dances, party games, surprise entertainments, raffle, and a great candle-lit atmosphere, with our own Rosie Davis calling, music from the Horsmonden Traditional Music Class and friends, and Frittenden favourites Annie Dearman and Steve Harrison adding to the general jollity.
Tickets are £6 and £4 (concs), with all funds raised going to help fund the Frittenden Old Fashioned Night Out day scheduled for the 6th April. Call Gavin on 07985 522734 to reserve your tickets now!
If you play English traditional music and would like to join the band for a few tunes, you’re very welcome.
We’re planning to have a list for the night, so if you’re not too confident about some of them, you’ll know when to dip in and play, and when to drop out and dance with your partner or go to the bar! Among the tunes we plan to use are the following:
- The Hundred Pipers (march)
- Cock of the North (jig)
- Haste to the Wedding (jig)
- Rig a Jig Jig (jig, natch)
- Strike the Bell (32-bar step hop)
- Off to California (32-bar step hop)
- The Sloe (polka)
- The Girl with the Blue Dress On (polka)
- Oh Joe the Boat is Going Over (polka)
- Donkey Riding (polka)
- Three Around Three (polka)
- Shave the Donkey (waltz)
- Sussex Cotillion (incidental tune, but I guess it must be a cotillion!)
- From Night til Morn (polka)
- The Famous Fiery Clockface (jig)
Classic session and barndance tunes, every one of them, and they’re all either on the class pages, or this YouTube page.
PS – Here’s a video showing what a great time we had!
PPS – And here’s another, this time from Annie and Steve’s YouTube.