Helen North, who is singing for us at Brenchley on Sunday March 24th
- Big thanks to Peter Collins for a lovely session at Brenchley last week!
- There’s a tunes session at the Gun, Horsmonden on Sunday the 4th from 8pm (it’s the first Sunday)
- The next two tunes workshop are at the Gun, Horsmonden on the 6th and 20th March from 8pm! As we’re now working up to the workshop barndance on the 24th March, we’ll be practising the tunes we’ll need on the night. These will be Smith’s a Gallant Fireman, Off to California, Fred Pigeon’s No 2, Dashing White Sergeant, From Night ’til Morn, Quickstep in the Battle of Prague, The Marmalade Polka, Oh Dem Golden Slippers, Major Mackie’s, The Hullichan Jig, Squirrel in a Tree, Rig a Jig Jig, Shave the Donkey, The Dark Island. See the tunes workshop page for the music etc.
- Kent’s own Helen North is our visiting friend for the regular mixed songs and tunes session at at the Castle Inn, Brenchley on the 25th March from 8pm. She has a really good voice and a distinctive repertoire including her own excellent songs, so it will be a treat to have her along… Folks are welcome to come and just listen, of course, but if you’ve got a song, a tune, a poem or anything else you might call trad, old-fashioned or entertaining please bring them along.
- Peter Collins is our visitor friend at the Castle Inn, Brenchley on the 25th February. For many of us he needs no introduction as he’s a regular attender and rather a local legend. But for those who /don’t/ know, he has a wonderful deep voice, an outstanding collection of songs and a style strongly influenced by singing alongside many of the great names in traditional singing in Sussex – Ron Spicer, Gordon Hall and Bob Copper were all great friends. The evening starts at 8pm, and although we call it a session and it is free, everyone is welcome including those who just like to listen! If you do come, I can promise a good evening and some delightful songs and tunes.
- The barndance – don’t forget this important event is on the 24th March and it would be lovely to have lots of you in the band! Ollie and Malcolm will be with us!
- The next tunes workshop is upstairs at the Gun, Horsmonden on the 20th February from 8pm! As we’re now working up to the next barndance on the 24th March, we’ll be practising the tunes we’ll need on the night: for this first practice, I propose we look at From Night ’til Morn, Quickstep in the Battle of Prague, The Marmalade Polka, Major Mackie’s, the Hullichan Jig, Squirrel in a Tree, Shave the Donkey and The Dark Island. We’ll see how we go of course: anything that turns out to be too hard will be swapped for something else…
- And the next tunes session is also at the Gun on the 4th March from 8pm.